Many of the home care products found in conventional supermarket and grocery stores contain scores of chemical ingredients that put your health at risk. It’s important to be just as concerned about the quality of things that you breath in as well as it is to be concerned about foods that go inside your body. Rhea Manor Natural Market carries a full selection of natural health and organic eco-home products. With our convenient online store, it’s easy to keep your home stocked with organic natural foods as well as fine quality home care products. Lots here to take care of your home inside and out. Shop Now.
Although we are mindful of what we put in our bodies, many of us do not realize that the chemicals that we use to clean our homes are also dangerous. In fact, they are the most toxic substances found in our homes, and in recent years these chemicals have we have seen a direct link between these chemicals and in the rising incidence of asthma, childhood cancer, leukemia, and reduced sperm count.
Household cleaning products with organic solvents and chemicals with a petroleum base are toxic to humans. In fact, often it says right on the label hazardous to humans and domestic animals 8 Hidden Toxins What's Lurking in Your Cleaning Products. There are no federal regulations of chemicals that are used in our households, in fact, Rebecca Sutton, Ph.D., a senior scientist at the Environmental Working Group (EWG) explains' in terms of household cleaners, neither ingredients, not products must meet any safety standard, nor is any testing data or notification required before bringing a product to market.
According to the experts, the average American household has about 62 toxic chemicals. Although the manufacturers of these products claim that these small amounts of chemicals are unlikely to pose a problem, it is the repeated exposure to them which presents the problem. This is known as the body's toxic burden, and it is the number of chemicals that the body stores within the body tissues that causes problems over time.
What are these harmful chemicals?
- Phthalates Found in many of the products that are fragranced, such as air freshener, dish soap, and even toilet paper. The government doesn't require companies to write the work phalates on the label, but if you see the word fragrance you should be cautious;
- A better choice is to use all natural, or all-organic products which are fragrance-free. Better yet, open the windows to allow fresh air inside or use essential oils when necessary. Aerosol sprays and air fresheners can lead to migraines and trigger asthma, and put some plants in your house as they are natural air detoxifiers.
- Perchloroethylene or PERC This chemical is in dry-cleaning solutions, spot remover, and carpet/upholstery cleaners
- A better choice would be to get rid of all items that require dry clean only and use those that a wet cleaner can clean just as well. Wet cleaners utilize water-based technology rather than chemical solvents. You should ask your dry cleaner which method they use.
- Tricolan Found in dishwashing detergent and soaps labeled antibacterial.
- It is better for both you and the environment to use soaps with ingredient lists which are short and to avoid anti-bacterial items with triclosan in your home. If hand sanitizer is a must for then chose alcohol-based antibacterial products that do not contain triclosan.
- Quaternary Ammonium Compounds or QUATS- These are found in fabric softener, both the sheets and the liquid, and in many cleaners' that are labeled antibacterial;.
- To the surprise of many, vinegar is a natural fabric softener. It is non-toxic, helps prevent static cling, and removes the residue that soap left in your washer.
- 2-Butoxyethanol This is the key ingredient in many commercial window cleaners and belongs in the category of glycol ethers. The law doesn't require manufacturers to list 2-butoxyethanol on labels.
- The most effective, and safest way to clean mirrors and windows is using a newspaper and diluted vinegar. When cleaning other things use products made from natural ingredients, or you can even make your own. But beware because some natural products, like ammonia mixed with bleach, can cause chemical reactions, so research well before you begin playing chemist.
- Ammonia-Used as a polishing agent for jewelry, sinks, hardware, and in glass cleaner.
- A healthier choice is to use is, surprise, vodka which will produce a reflective shine and toothpaste works well as a silver polish.
- Chlorine A chemical found in many cleaners, such as scouring powders, toilet bowl cleaners, mildew removers, laundry whiteners, and, of course, is the main chemical in many of pools.
- A healthier choice would be to use Bon Ami or the more natural baking soda. Even vinegar alone can clean toilet bowls and vinegar, and borax powder can whiten clothes as well as any over the market whitener can. If you wish to reduce your exposure to chemicals, particularly chlorine, through tap water you can install filters on your sink and shower.
- Sodium Hydroxide most often found in oven cleaners and drain openers. It is commonly known as lye.
- Grimy ovens are surprisingly easy to clean with a baking-soda paste, although it takes time and some scrubbing. Similarly, a mixture of baking soda and vinegar can unclog drains, although if the blockage is large, a mechanical snake may be necessary.
What does Rhea Market Natural Manor offer to help with these problems?
Candles - they are beautiful. They set the mood. Good ones even emit a pleasant aroma. Rhea Manor Natural Market carries Aloha Bay Candles (8 ounces) in a variety of scents. Whether it is the smell of coconut or Tahitian vanilla. We also carry many different Chakra Candle Jars, 11 ounces in size, in the following scents: Abundance, Happiness, Healing, Love, Money, Positive Energy, Protection, White Lotus, Jar Blue, and Abundance Indigo.
Votives based on the essential oil of Chai Spice (12 votives at two ounces each,) votives of Patchouli (12 votives at two ounces each), Votive Essential Oil Rendezvous (12 votives at two ounces each,) and Rhea Manor Natural Market carries many other varieties and scents of candles as well.
Laundry Soaps and Cleaners – going to the grocery store has become a chore. Not only must you decipher the chemicals that you will be essentially be giving to your family, but then you must decide which brand is the least harmful to both you and the environment and then, of course, there are all the different options. Spring Fresh? Country Linen? Gladiola? All, of course, which is not real, but rather chemicals as well.
Rhea Manor Natural Market understands your plight as we have been there. Now, we are fortunate enough to pick what we want from the brands that we love and trust and they arrive at our door. This is the service we want to offer to you, our customers.
Laundry soap is hard on your clothes, yet it is also can be hard on the environment, so we aim to use the products with the least environmental impact, but that still works well enough to get rid of the stubborn stains.
- Biokleen Free & Clear Laundry Powder – at only ten pounds of laundry powder, this is fragrance-free product which brightens, whitens and deodorizes;
- Biokleen Laundry Powder – this item is 50 pounds of laundry powder and has Oxygen Bleach and Orange and Grapefruit Peel extracts which help clean, brighten and deodorizes;
- Biokleen Premium Plus All Temperature Laundry Powder – 5 pounds of all temperature laundry powder for even the toughest stains;
- Charlies Soap Laundry Powder 80 pounds (6 x 2.64lbs) – developed for use in textile quality control labs, this detergent can handle any laundry problems;
- Country Save Laundry Detergent – specifically formulated for use in HE front loading washing machines;
- Country Save Laundry Detergent (4x10lb) – this detergent is biodegradable, dye and fragrance-free, and is HE compatible;
- Country Save Oxy Powder Bleach 12 x 2.5 pounds – this oxygen powered bleach can get out even the toughest of stains, and is still safe for you and your family and the environment.
- Biokleen Sports Laundry Liquid – 64 ounces of laundry liquid which is tough on dirt, gentle on the Earth, and fights odors. This is a concentrated formula which can clean 64 standard loads or 128 high-efficiency loads;
- Biokleen Citrus Liquid Laundry Citrus – with a citrus base, you need only one ounce per load to get fabrics cleaner and brighter. This product also comes in Biokleen 32-ounce case of six;
- Biokleen Energy Saver Liquid Laundry – 64 ounces of laundry liquid which is so strong that you only need one once per load;
- Biokleen Free & Clear Liquid Laundry – 64 ounces of laundry liquid with no additional fragrances or chemicals. Biokleen Free & Clear Liquid Laundry also comes in 32-ounce case of six;
- Biokleen Liquid Laundry Detergent – 32-ounces of laundry detergent and with only one-ounce necessary per load.
- Air Scense Air Freshener Vanilla (4 bottles, 7 ounces each) – environmentally friendly of course and smells like vanilla which is a natural aphrodisiac;
- Aromatherapy Room Diffuser – a plug-in diffuser with low levels of heat designed for essential oils;
- Aura Cacia Air Freshening Spritz Lavender – this six-ounce air freshener delivers the scent of Lavender when used;
- Aura Cacia Cinnamon Ylang Mist – available in a four-ounce container, this air freshener fills the room with cinnamon and Ylang;
- Citrus Magic Air Freshener Odor Eliminating Spray Fresh Orange – available in 3.5 ounces, this air freshener is citrus based, one of the best odor eliminators;
- Citrus Magic Air Freshener Odor Eliminating Spray Lavender Eucalyptus – the blend of lavender, eucalyptus, and citrus is certain to eliminate any unwanted odors;
- Citrus Magic Carpet And Room Odor Eliminator – this is perfect to scatter on carpets and area rugs until you vacuum them and leaves a pleasant smell behind;
- Fun Fresh Foods Refrigerator Fresh Crystal – rather than using the standard baking soda that is so common, this product will freshen your refrigerator with a different smell;
- Meyer's Room Freshener Lavender – six bottles of eight ounces of one of the most well-known brands for room fresheners and cleaners;
- Satya Sai Baba's Nag Champa Incense – 12 x 40 grams of some of the cleanest and best-smelling incensed