A number of your pet food available in supermarket stores comprise dozens of compound ingredients which put your pets in danger. Many families are equally worried about the standard of food to his or her pet's health in addition to their particular.
Rhea Manor Natural Market is one of the best organic pet food stores includes the complete assortment of organic and top pet food brands. Together with our convenient online store, it's simple to maintain your home stocked with all-natural and excellent quality organic dog food and cat food.
Shop now, if you really want to look after your favorite pooch or kitty inside and out.
As more and more Americans move away from food and products produced an masse, and more towards items that are natural and grown without pesticides or the use of GMO products, we also try and bring those we love with us. One of the more popular choices in recent years has been the shift to organic and natural products for our animals, and this includes more than just food as there are many products which are available and good for our furry family members.
While these products are more expensive than those that you find in your local grocery store, many people who had made the change say that their pets are in better health and have a higher quality of life than they did when they were using the more widely available pet items.
The advantages of using natural products for your pets include:
- Fewer Allergies & Reactions – all-natural pet care products are not full of the chemicals found in the non-natural pet products. It is possible for your pet to have an allergy to some of these chemicals and you, the human, not to know;
- A better Immune System – skin is one of the built-in natural barriers to viruses, bacteria, and disease. When you use products that are not-natural on their skin and fur the chemicals and substances can hurt the animals natural defense mechanism against viruses and diseases. Using natural and organic pet care products strengthens their defenses and natural immunity compromised by chemicals; and
- Healthier Skin and Coat – by not introducing your pets’ skin and fur to chemicals are not only protecting them from chemicals and irritants, but you are also giving them essential vitamins and minerals which will put them in the best health and allow their natural immune system to do its job.
Using natural products on your pet can lead to:
- A longer life – by providing your furry family member with high-quality natural and organic products you will be helping them stay healthy, and a healthy pet is a longer living pet; and
- Better health – sometimes we forget that a longer life is not always a better life. These products not only allow your pet to live longer, but those years will be years spent in better health.
What are some of the items that we recommend here at Rhea Manor Natural Market? See the categories below for products that we recommend, use for our animals, and are some of the best products that we want to be able to offer to you, our customers. We will let you know Monk and Marmaladeâ€™s favorites as well.
An important, yet often overlooked, part of keeping your pet healthy is to provide them with either dental care if you see a problem or to address their dental health before there becomes an issue proactively. While those of us that own pets have known for years that brushing their teeth helps their dental health, there might be an easyer way to keep your pet’s teeth and mouth in good condition when you are in a pinch or if you have an animal that is particularly not fond of having their teeth brushed.
While brushless toothpaste comes in different forms, the Ark Naturals Breath-LESS Brushless-Toothpaste is a natural product designed to help with tooth decay, plaque, and tartar. Shaped like licorice, the outer layer is a darker brown and helps with bad breath for your pet while the inner core is lighter brown and contains pet toothpaste for help against plaque, tartar, and bad breath.
Organic Dog Food
Have you ever read the ingredients on your dog’s food? If you see something that says “meat” or “meat meal” that can be anything that used to be an animal, including roadkill, zoo animals, even spoiled meat from the grocery store. In California, it’s called “dry rendered tankage.” We like ingredients that we can pronounce with fewer chemicals. Although “Natural” is good, the term “Organic” has more regulations, and when we can, we prefer to use organic ingredients.
What we like to see on the list of ingredients: fish, chicken, meat that has a source if you will; whole grains such as oats and quinoa; Omega-3 fatty acids; Certified Organic; sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, fruit and vegetables that we recognize and we eat as well.
What we don’t like: “meat (not specified);” ingredients that we can’t pronounce; corn, wheat, soy, beet “pulp;” onions and grapes; products from rendering plants; and products from China.
These products are on the list for the best dry dog food for 2017: Castor & Pollux Ultramix Grain-Free Duck, Sweet Potatoes & Whole Peas Entrée (ranked #3 on the list of the best dry dog food), Newman's Own Adult Health Dog Food (ranked #6), Wellness Core Dry Dog Original (#11), Wellness Super 5 Mix Chicken Dry Dog (#12), AvoDerm Natural Wellness Dog Dry Super 5 Mix Lamb (#12), Newman's Own Advanced Dog Food (#27), and Halo Chicken Puppy Food (Spot’s Stew) (#32).
Organic Cat Food
Cats are picky eaters, and we believe that providing them with the highest quality food is not only the best thing we can do for their health, but it also saves us money by not purchasing food they won’t eat. The list of the 50 best organic cat foods has some of our favorites as well, with Newman's Own Premium Adult Cat Dry Food ranking #5, Newman's Own Adult Health Cat Food (#11), Halo Spot’s Stew Cat Food (#18), Halo Spot’s Pâté Food for Cats which also comes in a grain-free option (#30), Wellness Complete Health Natural Wet Canned Cat Food (#33), I and Love and You All Natural Canned Cat Food (#41), Organix Shredded and Pate Canned Organic Cat Food (#45), Newman’s Own Premium Canned Formulas for Cats (with Organic Ingredients) (#46.)
Marmalade’s favorite is the Newman's Organics Turkey Grain Free Wet Cat Food mixed with Newman's Own Adult Health Cat Food, a choice that we support as Newman’s Own donates 100% of the profits to charity.
Dog Treats are just that, a treat, but many of them are either unhealthy or they don’t go far enough to make the dog healthier. Rhea Manor is proud to carry dog treats that are natural and full of flavor made by these companies: Alaska’s Bakery, Ark Naturals Sea Mobility, Buckley Dog Treats, Castor & Pollux, Dogswell, Fruitables, Halo Liv-a-Littles Natural Treats, I and Love and You, Newman’s Own, and Zuke’s.
We like treats which meet the following guidelines:
Filled with fruit (not grapes, raisins, or sultanas) or vegetables, fruit-based treats, low-calorie treats, and those approved by the VOHC – the Veterinary Oral Health Council.
Dehydrated Dog Food
Honest Kitchen Keen Dehydrated Dog Food (#25 on the list of the best organic dog foods) is a personal favorite of ours, although we don’t often have the time to prepare dehydrated dog food for him.
You may be wondering why your pet would need supplements when they are eating food that is naturally organic. There are quite a few reasons for this, but here are some:
- The soil that grows much of the crops in America does not have the same about of minerals that it used to. In the year 1992, the Earth Summit estimated that the soils of North America had lost over 85% of their natural minerals;
- Our storage and cooking methods do not preserve the minerals that are in the food. Both hot and cold temperatures can make food lose essential minerals and nutrients. Similarly, when we cook food at high temperatures the same thing happens;
- Acid rain has made plants much less effective at their job. Pollution has decreased the ability of plants to use the minerals in the soil which mean that the plants have a lower mineral content than they did in the past; and
- The demand for fresh food has led to farmers using more fertilizers and artificial fertilizers to make the growing process faster. The shorter growing time means that plants don’t have the time to take minerals from the soil that they need.
We carry many different supplements for both dogs and cats, but some of our favorites include: Naturvet No Scoot Plus Pumpkin Dogs which is especially good for larger dogs who have difficulties expressing their anal glands on their own, and Zuke's Hip Action Dog Treats Chicken Formula which helps Monk with his genetic history of hip dysplasia. Both Monk and Marmalade enjoy their beautiful coat thanks to Petguard Skin And Coat Supplement Dogs And Cats.
Rhea Manor Natural Market carries some “accessories” as well. We use the Austin Rose Caroline's Doggie Sudz Shampoo For Pampering Pooch Lavender and Neem or the Austin Rose Caroline’s Doggie Sudz Shampoo For Pampering Pooch Mango and Neem. For our customers who walk their dogs and must pick up the waste, we recommend Biobag Biodegradable Dog Waste Bags, which we have in different sizes.